Update: Thank you to everyone who responded to our consultation. The results and recommendations were discussed at the 22 June 2021 Council meeting. Read the Consultation Summary Report and appendices, the Council report (starting from page 229) and the Council minutes (page 15).
Beach volleyball is allowed at Tamarama and Bondi beaches; these arrangements are formalised through the respective plans of management (Bronte beach is not suitable for beach volleyball due to the depth of the beach). These games are informal, players bring their own equipment and must adhere to Council's rules of engagement.
Concerns have been raised to Council on this practice, and in order to fully understand the issues, we are getting feedback to understand wider community views.
Rules of engagement
- When there is potential for conflict with other beach users, the number of volleyball courts will be limited at the discretion of Council staff
- No commercial activity/provider
- No organised competition
- No bookings taken
- No vehicles may enter the park to unload or load equipment
- Temporary nets only ie. no permanent fixtures
- Soft volleyballs must be used
- Must not conflict with other beach users
- Volleyball courts must be set up at the back of the beach as shown in each of the diagrams. No more than four nets set up at Tamarama and three nets set up at Bondi Beach
- Volleyball courts must not block any access points to the beach
Have your say
We want to hear your thoughts on the rules of engagement and how beach volleyball operates at Bondi and Tamarama beaches, and whether it's sufficient or needs to change. This consultation period will run until 17 May 2021.
You can have your say by:
- filling in the online survey here
- Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail to: c/o General Manager, PO Box 9, Bondi Junction NSW 1355
Please note that all submissions will form part of Council’s public record and as such may be made publicly available. Your name and contact details will be kept confidential.
All of the feedback received will be summarised and considered by Council, if necessary there may be further investigation or the rules of engagement for playing beach volleyball may be reviewed.
Contact our Open Space and Recreation Planning team at email@example.com