After consulting the community on the draft Waverley Park Plan of Management at the end of 2021 we have used the feedback to create a concept design for the play space and picnic area.
The community supported the upgrade to increase the size, age range (toddlers to early teens) and expand the types of play experiences.
The proposed concept design reflects the community's feedback by including things like restoring the historically larger footprint, moving into areas under the trees for nature, adventure and wild play, providing upgrades to the picinic area and the creation of an accessible and inclusive facility to cater for everyone in the community.
The concept design includes:
- New rocketship and launch control play tower
- Accessible and inclusive play options throughout the entire concept design
- Active play areas (swings, spinners and see-saw)
- Toddler play area (combination play unit, rockers, picnic setting and seating)
- Nature/adventure and sensory play areas (rope climbing, balancing, water play and musical equipment)
- Two x embankment slides (one large and one accessible)
- Accessible picnic area with tables, BBQ and bubbler
- Accessible intergenerational fitness area (aimed at seniors health and wellbeing)
The play space upgrade restores the historical footprint of the original playground and enhances the existing open space for our all to enjoy.
Waverley Council has received a grant from the NSW Government’s Public Spaces Legacy Program, $1.4million has been allocated to fund Stage 1 of the play space upgrade in 2023 in accordance with the proposed Staging Plan, seen in the image Gallery on this page. The remaining nature / adventure play area, picnic and intergenerational fitness areas will be upgraded when funding becomes available.
This play space design achieves Waverley's vision to upgrade to a district level play space catering to all visitors as identified in Waverley Council’s Play Space Strategy, Inclusive Play Space Study and Waverley Plan of Management.
How to have your say
The consultation period closed in September 2022.